I have been very busy, and am busy still, but I want to take a break to maintain this blog and share some of my works. This one’s entitled Holiday.
This illustration was created as an entry to Wacom‘s Holiday Competition last 2009. The image depicts the main components of a traditional but awesome Filipino Christmas – games, songs, gifts, food, and of course, family. A Filipino Christmas is not complete without the family around the table for noche buena. This tradition is even carried over to New Year’s Eve during the media noche.
textures not mine.
Games. May it be the used and abused Trip to Jerusalem, or Paper Dance, games are never out of fashion during gatherings. Kids and kids-at-heart love games.
Songs. Filipinos are born music-lovers. Music – and the talent to produce one, in tune or not – is a part of being a Filipino.
Gifts. Let’s not fool ourselves here, while it’s fun to give than to receive, we all love receiving gifts. =)
Food. Local Filipino delicacies take centerstage during the Christmas season. Puto bumbong, bibingka, and halayang ube are among those. Don’t forget lechon, hamon, and keso de bola, plus the sweet desserts Graham cake and fruit salad. I could just go on forever. Filipinos love food, it’s our way of celebrating life.
Family. Christmas (and even other holidays) is for family reunions – and by family I meant the whole clan. While most enjoy seeing relatives and third-degree cousins, most enjoy the quite immediate family celebration, complete with Bucket Lists of stuff to thank God for in the ending year.
This illustration was created when I still didn’t have a tablet, so it’s completely mouse-drawn, with simple texture overlays and tree brush (created to appear as a Christmas tree) from the awesome Nicolas Gouny. Do take note that there is NO winter in the Philippines. I just wanted to put the snow balls for added effect. ^^;
- Suman at Halaya (pinoyanikanik.wordpress.com)
- ♣maligayang Pasko at Manigong Bagong Taon!!! (audacity2012.wordpress.com)
- How To Avoid Weight Gain This Holiday Season? (micanonymous.wordpress.com)
- Noche Buena. (myenvelopedideas.wordpress.com)
- Holiday Cheer FlashSALE + Special Offer (annaaspnes.typepad.com)
- Why Graphic Designers Must Hate the Holidays [Video] (gizmodo.com)
- Illustrator Pen Tool and Wacom Tablets (chesneyinspiration.wordpress.com)
- Happy Holidays! (wcward57.wordpress.com)
- Traditional holiday destinations boosted by booking surge (travelnews.britishairways.com)
- A Church by Any Other Name…. (commonsenseprovidence.com)
- Oh, my freezing hand(s)!! (emilyanthony.blogspot.com)
- Malagueña Navidad (amkulz.wordpress.com)
- Filipino feast for Christmas (sfgate.com)
- Not How but Why… (onlinejournalism419.wordpress.com)
- A Taste of Filipino Christmas (socyberty.com)
- Puto Bumbong (pinoyanikanik.wordpress.com)
- Bibingka (Traditional Christmas Rice Cake) (pinoyanikanik.wordpress.com)
- Christmas like no other (humpreyofiaza.wordpress.com)
- Let’s Color Nature + Nicolas Gouny (klacenklaiart.wordpress.com)