This is my anime-style drawing of Arwen Undómiel, the Evenstar, a descendant of Luthien the Nightingale, daughter of Elrond. She is a fictional character in JRR Tolkien‘s The Lord of the Rings novels.
While I am not a great fan of the Lord of the Rings and haven’t read the books, I liked Arwen in Peter Jackson’s movie adaptation of the books. Maybe it has to do with Liv Tyler who played Arwen, or maybe because Arwen is a damsel who was not in distress.
I am not unfamiliar with Middle Earth. My first book that somehow touched the concept of Earth other than men is Terry Brooks‘ The Elfstones of Shannara. In Terry Brooks’ world, though, faeries and druids exist, and men waged war with the other races. It’s also in this book that I first encountered the Changeling, which I was afraid of while reading the book.
What is SAI? Easy PaintTool SAI is a program similar to Corel Painter. SAI was developed by Systemax, a Japanese software development team; It has user-friendly interface and is very light and easy to use, without compromising output value. It has full digitizer support to enable painting using pen pressure, and anti-aliased drawing feature. Its toolbars have numerous styles and options to offer for a breezy and digital painting experience.
While Corel Painter is a league of its own, SAI has its own perks and many digital artists love using this program because of its ease of use and flexibility. The fact it doesn’t eat up your RAM is a very big plus as well. It’s very easy to learn, and it gets really fun once you get the hang of it. However, just like Painter, you can only use SAI if you have a tablet. If you do have one, you might want to give it a try. Download a trial version of PaintTool SAI here.
Here’s another version of the drawing, without the overlay edits of Photoshop:
- A Fabby Halloween: Sassy Sorceress (fabsugar.com)
- Hobbit Houses: Soon Lord of the Rings fans… (curbed.com)
- The Lord of the Rings Symphony: Six Movements for Orchestra and Choir by Howard Shore – Review (tracksounds.blogspot.com)
- Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit to premiere in Wellington (guardian.co.uk)
- Paint Tool Sai for Free! (poptropicalthunder.wordpress.com)
- Viet-My Bui: Digital Art is Easy to Learn, but Hard to Master (artcorecafe.wordpress.com)
- Self portrait (dreamchanneling4you.wordpress.com)